la Brocanteuse

Dec 4, 2011

My glitzy bauble tree







Come Christmas season, out comes this artificial tree..for it will hold my glass baubles and bits collected over time the best.I can bend the tips of the branches back to secure the ornaments will not slip of.

A collection of blown glass balls and birds,  hand painted, decorated with Sharovski glitz, and glass glitter..all unite on this little tree on a landing between floors.It is quite magical when sun sets and the little lights inserted in crystals are switched on..visible from down stairs looking up, from upstairs looking down, and inviting from outside as well. 
Early morning  sun makes the glass ornaments glisten. 
When we renovated this house, I planned the landing  area around accomodating this tree. The ornaments looks best on a smaller tree, and needs to be elevated to really see each one. For this reason as well I had a floor plug installed next to the table, to allow for the lights to be plugged in close by.



I started collecting these special birds and balls a few years ago on a trip to Basel, Switzerland.
It is quite overwhelming to see all the different colors and shapes together, and then to  decide if one should go for the fashion color at the time, or to stay with the classic designs and colors. Since I love traditional and old..I chose the silver, gold and duck egg colors...each one decorated right there in front of me and ready for collection later. On collection , they are securely packed in their little individual boxes complete with little metal tag and design no.


   
Around the same time I fell in love with the glass balls covered with cut out lace, which  started the addition of chrystals as well as  blown and sandblasted glass ornaments.


















 The pearl swag was found
in a ribbon and haberdasheries  store.


Pretty ornaments on top of special boxes,
reused and filled with favorite bon bons each year.





Our " Real "Christmas tree, as Dd refers to it,
is a large fresh pine from Elgin forest,  
put up on the 15th, collected from the Christmas tree  lot next to the  main road between 
Stellenbosch and Somerset West.
The "real" tree, goes up in the orangery, real candles in clips to be lit on Christmas eve, 
handmade decorations made by Dd and myself,
and fresh pine cones.
These are collected from our secret little corner not far from home, which also traditionally is part of a outing that includes a picnic next to the Eerste Rivier..
We dip the  pine cones in fragranced white wax ,
and after Christmas  save them untill winter to start the fire with.




Noel has arrived in our kitchen 
by way of this Prague statue on the window sill, flanked by little Norwegian trees.


Every year Dd chooses one little gingerbread house from the local Christmas market,
and saves it all year long under a  glass dome!


I wish you peace full and blessed days with loved ones, wherever you may be ..
Colette

17 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Colette how lovely I really like the baby birds and your gingerbread house its so nice to have old pieces and memories isnt it ENJOY fay xx

Fidji said...

So glitzy it makes you dash to the nearest Xmas store to buy a few baubles ! Thank you for your inspiration !
Fidji from Irresistibleparis

Veronica said...

Hi Colette. It is perfectly charming and I can just imagine that it is quite magical when lit. I wish you a wonderful December filled with magical moments to treasure. I have yet to make a gingerbread house...

Hugs and Blessings

Veronica
xx

Acquired Objects said...

Your tree is so beautiful Colette but I think my favorite idea is the pearl trimming about your urn...great idea!

Enjoy your week!
Debra

Trouvais said...

Hi Colette. Love the pine cone gathering, dipping in wax. Love hearing about your customs way over there! Just lovely! Have a wonderful week, dear friend! XOXO Trish

Burlap Luxe said...

O my friend your comment you left after a visit to my theatres I will treasure for ever. You encourage my new passion and love for the arts, in more ways than you could imagine, and YES! when I make a visit I will make sure I bring you a theatre :)

Love, love, love the Christmas tree and its divine beauty, those little touches you added with the whimsy of an apple green spider is so charming :)
I adore the Norwegian trees, I would, for I love the unique and different of designs.
I will keep my eyes on you visiting for more inspiring posts through the Holidays :)

You mentioned your friends white kitchen that you will be post again about it, my friend and aunt are anxious to see anything new she may be sharing, perhaps a new room or two! keep me posted if you still plan to post her home :)

Have creative days ahead of you and inspire us with your creative beauty.
xoxo
Dore

Sharon Lee Johnson said...

What a magical corner of your home with all your special and beautiful Christmas ornaments. It's such fun hearing about other families Christmas traditions. I made a gingerbread house one year. It took me an entire day to make and the boys devoured it all in about 5 minutes. I have never made one again! It was too heartbreaking! Lots of love Sharon

designchic said...

So beautiful at your home. Love the tree with all of the special ornaments and the gingerbread house is wonderful!!

Bella Stelli said...

My Allerliefste Colette
What a beautiful tree. I love everything about it!

Much love

Christel

Tricia said...

Your glitzy tree is fabulous Colette!! Happy Holidays to you my friend.
Tricia

Anonymous said...

Beautiful..as I know it to be!!
bises
Ronelle

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

Colette, Gorgeous!! Your tree is beautiful and I am loving the pearl swag. The Praque statue is amazing too.
xo,
Sherry

French Basketeer.com said...

Love seeing your trees, especially the pretty ornaments! Stop by Karena's for a giveaway I am offering; thinking of my blog friends abroad so it is open to international!

vintageandart said...

Such beautiful ornaments you've collected....lts easy to tell how passionate you are about them. Lovin' your little white crown VERY much.

Anne said...

Gorgeous tree! We have similar taste... my tree also has lots of crystal and birds. Nice to discover your blog via Art by Karena. Happy Holidays!

Cathy said...

Oh Col- now you're getting me in the Christmas spirit.I love the baubles, especially the lacy ones. You are a woman after my own heart planning plugpoints specifically for some special purpose. I get my tree at the same place - am quite envious of your tradition with a picnic by the Eerst River. Enjoy!! Cath x

Anonymous said...

Hi Col-what a gorgeous post...your taste is exquisite and I love your vintage baubles...I so envy you your real trees...they are prohibitively expensive here so we have to make do with the fake trees....just not the same and i miss the smell and texture of the real pine...looks like Christmas will be a really magical time in your house!
Love
Jules